25 August 2013
Comments: 0

Transmutation: Submitted to Amazon

I’ve finally compiled a fully functional version of Transmutation that runs on the Fire HD. Although I don’t particularly like the UI on the Fire (it’s a bit restrictive), I’m glad I bought it. It would have been almost impossible to guess why AdMob was locking up through submission rejections or user complaints. Despite everything […]


24 August 2013
Category:
Development
Unity
Comments: 1

Unity: Implementing Amazon ads

I ended up ripping Prime31′s Android AdMob support out of Transmutation, writing my own plugin, and then adding Amazon to support to it. Because Prime31 offered no help or useful information for the AdMob-crashing-on-the-Fire-HD problem, the only way I could figure out what was causing it was to write my own replacement for it. Two […]


20 August 2013
Category:
Development
Unity
Comments: 0

Unity: Creating an Android library when Eclipse hates you

OK, so Prime31 got back to me about the bug report. To paraphrase: “Not our problem”. Now how did I know that they were going to say that?¬†Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, if AdMob are anything like the other Google departments that I’ve had experience with, the best I can hope for is a […]


19 August 2013
Category:
Development
Unity
Comments: 0

Unity: Amazon Kindle HD crash on resume

I’ve decided to try a new approach for this blog: Instead of posting monolithic blocks of text while working on my apps, I’ll be splitting them into individual posts in a new section devoted to Unity coding. I seriously started work on the Transmutation Amazon release this morning. I know that the general Android version […]


13 August 2013
Comments: 0

Transmutation: Unleashed

It’s funny how things never go the way you expect them to. Actually, no, it isn’t funny. It’s annoying. I persevered and finally overcame the stream of minor issues that held up Transmutation’s release. One particularly frustrating issue happened after I installed the Prime31 AdMob plugin that replaced the broken MoPub one. While AdMob worked […]


11 August 2013
Comments: 0

Transmutation: Suspend and resume

Things were going along great when I realised that I’d completely neglected to deal with suspend and resume for the Transmutation rewrite. To be honest, it wasn’t present in the original version either. Nonetheless, it is an important feature because that it’s required for some markets, and because the game can’t be restarted from an […]


9 August 2013
Comments: 0

Transmutation: Functionally complete

For the past couple of days I’ve been tidying up Transmutation and getting it ready for release this weekend. The most obvious change since last time is yet another colour scheme. I was testing the game on my Transformer Prime, which has a bright, though washed-out LCD panel, and the light yellow scheme I’d selected […]


7 August 2013
Category:
Transmutation
Comments: 0

Transmutation: Running the API gauntlet again

I reached the point today where Transmutation was going to need about 13 buttons on the front screen, which is just too many to be usable on a smaller device with limited screen area. Although I’ve blocked the app for really tiny devices, it’s pushing it having more than about seven buttons (arranged vertically) on […]


6 August 2013
Category:
Transmutation
Comments: 0

Transmutation: Multi-language & UI improvements

After yesterday’s time wasters, today turned out to be very productive, resulting in two of the four remaining major tasks being crossed off the list. First up, I’ve finished implementing language selection into the app. The framework already had translations built in, and I’d been adding button and label captions to the translation spreadsheet (used […]


5 August 2013
Comments: 0

Graphical enhancements

I added some new graphics to Transmutation, including a background texture, which was just a simple blue gradient with a radial pattern overlaid to make it look a bit “underwatery”, which is in keeping with the game’s theme. Trouble was the order of the day when I tried to add the animated bubbles in the […]