14 July 2013
Category:
Development
Comments: 2

36 hours of ChartBoost

Having finally managed to get MoPub to serve up AdMob ads (most of the time), I moved on to ChartBoost, with trepidation.

It was worse than I imagined.

I spent the whole of yesterday just trying to get one solitary ChartBoost ad to show.

No dice.

Today, I tried a new tack: I downloaded the ChartBoost Unity plugin, installed it, and disabled ChartBoost support in MoPub.

Nothing.

ChartBoost reports no real errors. The best you’ll get is a log entry telling you that the interstitial didn’t load, with no info about why not.

After messing around with settings in ChartBoost for a while, I was finally able to get it to display a black screen.

Eventually, I figured out that the black meant that I’d set the ad to portrait, but was trying to display it in my landscape ad.

Fixing that, I finally had an ad appear.

Then it stopped working again. No black screen, no nothing.

A couple of hours later, after trying everything I could think of, it finally started up again.

I still don’t really know why it started working, though I suspect that there was sometimes a significant delay (a lot longer than the 10 minutes advertised) between changing a setting in the ChartBoost console, and having it reflected in the app.

I know that the portrait/landscape setting was causing the black screen – that was reproducible.

I also think that ChartBoost’s test mode is completely broken. You can enter a device ID in the ChartBoost console, then link that device to a campaign and it’s supposed to serve up a dummy ad, but I never once saw one of these test ads on my device. There’s also an option to turn on test ads manually, but whenever that option was enabled, my app would always fail to load anything, even a black screen. It wasn’t until I’d accidentally disabled test mode and removed the IDs from the test device area that I started to get actual ads appearing, instead of fail messages in the log.

I’m going to leave alone overnight and see if it’s still working in the morning.

Maybe MoPub wasn’t at fault this time, though I did have a great deal of trouble trying to set up a feed for ChartBoost ads. The problem is that MoPub’s console requires you specify the size of the ad that the network will deliver, and despite selecting the correct size, MoPub would never serve an ad. The best I could do was to get black screens if I set the MoPub feed to portrait for my landscape app – which implies that MoPub was able to connect to ChartBoost, but it was requesting an ad with the wrong orientation. I don’t know for sure, and I’m not going to strip the now-working ChartBoost plugin out of my app to test the idea. I’ve wasted enough time on this already.

  • Mark

    Hi Neil,

    I’m writing from the Support Team at Chartboost to let you know we did have a bug affecting Test Mode, but that our engineers have resolved it — apologies for the inconvenience! We’d also be happy to help answer your other questions; just drop us a line at support@chartboost.com to get in touch.

    Hope this helps, and thanks for sticking with us.

    Mark
    Chartboost Support

    • http://apps.burlock.org Neil B

      Thanks for taking the time to let me know that I wasn’t delusional in thinking that ads were only working because test mode was off.
      I’d have to say that this is probably the first support response I’d ever had from any company without having to contact that company in the first place. Nicely done!