Space news #15: Evidence of alien life within a decade?
Recent data has uncovered evidence of extensive ice hidden under the Martian dust. The latest calculations are equivalent to 150 billion cubic meters of ice, which is enough to cover the entire planet in a layer of ice over 1 meter thick if it were spread evenly. Perhaps the original Total Recall movie was correct? Meanwhile Ganymede has been found to have a significant bulge around its equator which is thought to have migrated over a subsurface ocean to its current position, from one of the moon’s poles.
Gazing into her crystal ball, NASA chief scientist Ellen Stofan has said that she expects we’re going to have strong indications of life beyond Earth within a decade, and definitive evidence within 20 to 30 years. It may be too early to put a timeframe on it, but our technologies are improving rapidly and everywhere we look we find planets, water and complex molecules. With increasing evidence that building blocks of life are self assembling under the right conditions, I wouldn’t be surprised if we find our Universe teaming with bacteria-like life.
Space news was on hiatus last week due to technical difficulties. The program I wrote to collect and format my Tweets had a silent error late in the week and trashed the data. I’ve rewritten it, it’s a lot smarter and more careful when it makes edits.
Follow me on Twitter!
- Blue Origin to Launch Private Spaceship Test Flights This Year
- NASA TV Coverage Set for Sixth SpaceX Resupply Mission to Space Station
- Going In Circles On The Road to Mars
- NASA Proposals for Lightweight Materials for Journey to Mars
- 13 MORE Things That Saved Apollo 13
- Soft Landing on the Moon an Extraordinary Challenge
- Russia reshuffles management of new spaceport program
- Plan allows for human Mars missions in 2030s
- How To Train Your Astronauts
- NASA Selects Companies to Develop Super-Fast Deep Space Engine
- 3D Printed In Space! NASA’s Unboxing Video
- Radiation and Boredom: Manned Mars Mission Faces Challenges
- Bulletproof Vest Shields NASA’s Pluto-Bound Spacecraft (Exclusive Video)
- Mock Satellite Snagged By Net On Zero-G Flight| Video
- Home Away From Home: NASA Spider-Droids to Build in Space
- NASA Extends Lockheed Martin Contract To Prepare Critical Cargo For ISS
The Solar System
- Pluto Weather Forecast: Probe Likely to Find It Gusty and Gassy
- Will NASA Ever Send Humans to Mars?
- Our Sun Experiences Seasonal Changes
- ESA’s planetary defence test set for 2020
- IceMole Drill Built to Explore Saturn’s Icy Moon Enceladus Passes Glacier Test
- There Could Be Lava Tubes on the Moon, Large Enough for Whole Cities
- Rosetta Spacecraft Gets Confused by Rough Comet ‘Weather’
- Oxygen-depleted oceans had key role in mass extinction over 200M years ago
- Mystery of Earth and Moon’s DNA “Fingerprint” –Formed from a Mars’-Sized Impact
- Ganymede Bulge: Evidence for Its Ocean?
- Existing Glaciers of Mars –“Could Cover the Entire Red Planet with One Meter of Ice”
- Invisible Violence of the Solar Winds –Revealed by ESA’s Cluster Satellites
- Moon formed when young Earth and little sister collided
- Mars’ dust-covered glacial belts may contain tons of water
- Scientists Take Aim at Four Corners Methane Mystery
- Guiding Our Search for Life on Other Earths
- Searching for Water in the Solar System and Beyond
- Earth’s ‘Alien’ Creatures May Reveal Clues About Extraterrestrial Life
- Life Needs An Atmosphere, But How Much Is Too Much
- Small Solar Eruptions Can Have Profound Effects on Unprotected Planets
- Signs of Alien Life Will Be Found by 2025, NASA’s Chief Scientist Predicts
- Venus and the Pleiades ? See the Spectacle!
- Seeding the Cosmos! Massive Supernova Event from Merging White Dwarfs or a Single Star?
- Astronomers solve decades-long mystery of the “lonely old stars”
- ALMA Sees Einstein Ring in Stunning Image of Lensed Galaxy
- In Search of Colliding Stars
- “A Fine-Tuned Universe?” –Complex Organic Molecules Discovered in Infant Star System
- Black holes don’t erase information, scientists say
- Our Sun Came Late to the Milky Way’s Star-Birth Party
- Enter Galactic Archaeology
- Awesome Sci-Fi Short ‘Leviathan’ to Become Full-Length Feature: Report
- New study hints at spontaneous appearance of primordial DNA
Follow me on Twitter!