I ended up ripping Prime31’s Android AdMob support out of Transmutation, writing my own plugin, and then adding Amazon to support to it. Because Prime31 offered no help or useful information for the AdMob-crashing-on-the-Fire-HD problem, the only way I could figure out what was causing it was to write my own replacement for it. Two
OK, so Prime31 got back to me about the bug report. To paraphrase: “Not our problem”. Now how did I know that they were going to say that? Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, if AdMob are anything like the other Google departments that I’ve had experience with, the best I can hope for is a
I’ve decided to try a new approach for this blog: Instead of posting monolithic blocks of text while working on my apps, I’ll be splitting them into individual posts in a new section devoted to Unity coding. I seriously started work on the Transmutation Amazon release this morning. I know that the general Android version
It’s funny how things never go the way you expect them to. Actually, no, it isn’t funny. It’s annoying. I persevered and finally overcame the stream of minor issues that held up Transmutation’s release. One particularly frustrating issue happened after I installed the Prime31 AdMob plugin that replaced the broken MoPub one. GARD Pro Not
Things were going along great when I realised that I’d completely neglected to deal with suspend and resume for the Transmutation rewrite. To be honest, it wasn’t present in the original version either. Nonetheless, it is an important feature because that it’s required for some markets, and because the game can’t be restarted from an
For the past couple of days I’ve been tidying up Transmutation and getting it ready for release this weekend. The most obvious change since last time is yet another colour scheme. I was testing the game on my Transformer Prime, which has a bright, though washed-out LCD panel, and the light yellow scheme I’d selected
I reached the point today where Transmutation was going to need about 13 buttons on the front screen, which is just too many to be usable on a smaller device with limited screen area. Although I’ve blocked the app for really tiny devices, it’s pushing it having more than about seven buttons (arranged vertically) on
After yesterday’s time wasters, today turned out to be very productive, resulting in two of the four remaining major tasks being crossed off the list. First up, I’ve finished implementing language selection into the app. The framework already had translations built in, and I’d been adding button and label captions to the translation spreadsheet (used
The last couple of days has been focused on improving how Transmutation feels while playing. This has involved adding in sound effects (none in the original), new music (the original music was not ideal), and many small improvements like a fade-to-black transition when beginning a game. It’s starting to feel like a proper game now.
Yet again I find my self at the point of having Galaxy Explorer ready for release. This time though, I really, really mean it. Implementing those API’s was a lot more work than I expected, but not because I had to write a lot of code. I didn’t have to write much code at all.